Saturday, May 29, 2010

Lorong Selamat Char Kueh Tiau

I've read so much about this place before finally setting my foot here. Not that I have anything against the place, I just had problem finding the place. It was only during my last visit to the island (i'm now staying here already ;p) I found out that it was just a mere five minutes walk from Tune Hotels.



The 'goggles auntie" is pretty famous in the blogosphere with everyone writing about her foul attitude. She was alright when I was there tho'. Just that she look really grumpy. Hey, blame it on the high wok heat and the strong smell from the chili oil! Anyone would look grumpy in that situation. ;p




I went on a Monday so there was not much waiting. My plate of char kueh tiau reaches my table within 15 minutes! I arrived quite famish so that was very much appreciated! :D




After reading so much travelers waxing lyrical about the place, I had a mountain of expectations. I ordered the RM 7 plate out of the range of RM 6, RM 7 and RM 9. My verdict? I thought it tasted just average. The portion of the kueh tiau was really little. I guess the RM 7 goes to the three medium size prawns. It was fresh and something a lot worship upon. But from my puny knowledge of food, I didn't think prawns is the "correct" parameter used to gauge the taste of a plate of char kueh tiau. ;p




The char kueh tiau do have a very strong flavor of lard tho. Something I find quite different from other char kueh tiau places.


I heard the waiting time would go as far as more than an hour during the weekends and public holidays. The longest waiting time (to make it worth the taste) for this char kueh tiau is only 20 minutes. After that it'll be too long. ;p

Anyway, have a good weekend people! I'm back to blogging about food again. :)

10 comments:

Melanie said...

hahahah , i'm in McDonald's now. I tapau you McDonald's can? ;p

jfook said...

I went there before too. The char kueh teow is awesome but expensive!

kumfye said...

last time i order this CKT hor...i waited for 1 hour...nice food must wait...

Melanie said...

Jfook : i've eaten better char kueh tiau at cheaper price! hehe

Kumfye : hehe i was actually quite prepared to wait but then luck was on my side coz it was a Monday so the wait was not long. I don't think it is THAT tasty to be waiting for one hour for it tho. :P

msihua said...

I tried this many years ago... and I wish I can have more!

Melanie said...

msihua : haha, come Penang! I bring you :P

eiling lim said...

ooh la la look at the big prawns and lard! I likeeee

Melanie said...

eiling Lim : I love the lard more than the prawn! hahaha!

ravishingpeacock said...

looks very yummie ;)

Melanie said...

ravishingpeacock : yeap, it is!