Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Where to go for Sarawak Laksa

My hometown- Kuching has always been very close to my heart and it always made my day to read about how people enjoy (and realize that we don't live on trees) their visits to Kuching. Just one thing that disappoint me - They go to the wrong place for Sarawak Laksa. I know, it's ridiculous but hey, Sarawak Laksa reflects Kuching, ok?



All over the blogosphere and travel webs, they will be recommending a place called "Chong Choon." I may have nothing against them, but seriously, for Kuching standard, their laksa is probably the worse. The last time(have been boycotting them for sometime but decided to give them another chance) I was there, I left more than half of it untouched. It was tasteless and watery and I went there at 7.30 am! I wonder how the laksa is gonna taste at 9am!

So, to do my part as a proud Kuching-nite, here is the list of places that you can go to taste the authentic Sarawak Laksa.

Madam Tang's (RM 5.20)


They have two branches in town and one in The Spring but it might be easier for tourists to drop by the one The Spring food court. For the locals who can't wake up early (the rule of thumb to eat laksa in Sarawak is to go as early as possible) , this is the place you can go. For tourists, this is also the easiest place to go since it is in a shopping mall.


Ah Yew's (RM4.50)


Again, they also have two branches - Sekama and Hui Sing(Sing Garden). I usually go to the one in Hui Sing since it's just five minutes from where I stay. It's a little out of the way from all the tourists spot, but here's the map.


They have excellent service as well but the laidback is that they seems to be off on no specific day.

Tabuan Jaya (RM4.50)


It is directly opposite Sweet Memory (a famous stationery shop in Kuching). The portion is really little tho' but the presentation is unbeatable.

If you have not tasted any of the Sarawak Laksa in these places, you have not tasted Sarawak Laksa.

** Just so you know, Sarawak Laksa is served with prawns. It's just that most of the visits was with my parents, which also means it is ordered by my dad, and he almost never eats prawns outside cause he is sceptical of the freshness.

10 comments:

Andrew Ho said...

One of the best is Thompson Corner in Tabuan Jaya.

~Live Life~ said...

Never tried Sarawak Laksa before...anywhere in peninsula which has good Sarawak Laksa too?

Come to Penang try Penang Laksa too! =)

Melanie said...

Andrew Ho : I heard it is the same owner as the one opposite Sweet Memory. Not too sure tho'.

Eddy said...

thompson corner in tabuan served their laksa with clams..taste a bit wierd at first but after that it sure do taste nice..it sure is one of the best around that area.. =)

Melanie said...

Live life : Alexis bistro serve quite decent Sarawak Laksa and also a place in Bangsar. I've tried Penang laksa. :P


Eddy : Ya, the one opposite Sweet Memory serve it with clams too.

Your Travel Partner said...

Hi Melanie,
We came across your blog, and would like to feature your Sarawak Laksa picture in our next week article about Sarawak. Your picture will be credited and link back to your blog. Please let us know if you have any objections. Thanks :)

Melanie said...

Your Travel Partner :

Hello! Yes sure, no problem at all! Do drop me a link of the written article once it's posted? Thanks!

Anonymous said...

uiiyooo. . . I usually order laksa and porrige(take away) at that amoi stall in front of the stationary shop. Its delicious!!!!!!!!!!! . Now I'm at Semenanjung andI really missed it ;\

Anonymous said...

uiiyooo. . . I usually order laksa and porrige(take away) at that amoi stall in front of the stationary shop. Its delicious!!!!!!!!!!! . Now I'm at Semenanjung andI really missed it ;\

Anonymous said...

Melanie:The laksa stall opposite Sweet Memory you had mentioned ,it's not the same owner that "Andrew ho" mentioned,and it's different taste too.
Sarawak laksa have too many stalls in Kuching.Every people have their own comments and taste for all of the laksa in Kuching.