Wednesday, April 22, 2009

TuneHotels.com Downtown Penang Review

TuneHotels.com is a brainchild of the Air Asia Group. They recently opened one in Penang, 1st of April to be precise. It works very much like Air Asia. The price fluctuates over time and if lady luck is on your side, you get the room as cheap as RM 20 inclusive of air conditioned, service tax and what not.



I booked mine prior a month to my stay and got what I deemed as reasonable price. It was only RM 56.23 inclusive of a 12 hour air conditioned credit. That's bloody cheap for a clean hotel room.



The reception area is on the second floor of the building and is very spacious. Receptionist had great customer service albeit a little lack in professionalism. I had a quick chat with one of the receptionist and she told me that the hotel is full occupied every day. Now, that's impressive considering the fact that when I was there, the hotel was only 10-day old.



Instead of the usual classy lounge you get in a 5 star hotel, they have a simple set of regular quadraliteral green and red colored couch in their lobby.



There are also four desktop computers equipped with Internet for you to use for free. Wi-fi in the room is accesible upon purchase of RM 12. In TuneHotels.com, nothing is free ;p



Unlike the usual private coffee house that most hotels have, they vendored out the space to a private proprietor. I didn't have the time to try but I did walk over to have a look at the price. It ranges from RM 5- RM 8. Very reasonable, I would say.



Having my mind set that this is a budget hotel, I foolishly asked the receptionist if there is a elevator in the building. She was quite puzzled with my question because the elevator is right behind me. Hehe.



There are no toiletries provided in the hotel but there is a convienient store that sells all the basics including wide array of magazines (international mostly), and second hand novels. It is not open 24 hours but you need not worry since 7-eleven is just below the hotel. I don't know if they had an agreement with TuneHotels.com but the 7-eleven seems to be selling things cheaper than any other 7-eleven. Funny thing was, this 7-eleven sells no condom but had pregnancy test on sale. Hehe.



They seem to have a hawaiian theme going on in every of their hotels. I thought it was a nice change from the usual dull-uno colored walls in other hotels.



I was quite amazed at how advance the technology is - considering again, it's a budget hotel. You place your room card in the small slot about a step from the door, and there's a small screen that indicates how much time left for the things you had add on.



Advertisement starts the moment you enter the room right to the toilet. A brilliant idea i thought. In case you're wondering the location, it is located in a prime spot in Georgetown. Next to New World Park, that is.



Spacious is the last word I would use to describe the room. However, since I was in a company of a friend, the room was just nice for us.



Credits go to the bed though. They weren't kidding when they promised a comfortable bed. I really had a good sleep. Sheets were really clean too. No stains spotted. ;p



However, if you're a feng shui afficionado, then this is not a hotel for you. Out of the two single beds in the room, one were located in front of the toilet and the other facing the door. And if you notice, they have level 4-also the level I was staying, which is a rare sight in Malaysia.



One of the things they raved about is the power shower. The shower heads were really huge and powerful and that makes your bath really refreshing. They also had glass door as opposed to the normal wooden door. It can be an eye candy if you're staying with the opposite sex but since i'm staying with a girl and I'm only interested in men, no eye candy for me.



The safe box in the room was the most user-friendly safe box I ever come accrossed. It was really easy to use.



My trip was for pure leisure. I thought i deserve a break before the finals. I have made my trip a no-shopping trip and spend most of my time in the hotel watching movie while munching on snacks and some food we brought.



They had a huge mirror on the wall that could be a paradise for cam whorers. I believe it is a way of making the room looks more spacious if we were to speak on architectural term.



A lot of things amused me during my short stay. For instance, these stainless steel waste bins. One question though, who actually throw metal in a hotel? Unless of course, some couple in the hotel is having their SM moments. ;p



I only stayed for a night and had to dread myself up from the bed the next morning to check out. After i finish a speedy (it only took me 3 minutes!) check out , they asked me to fill in the questionaire. The last question was, "Will you come again for another stay?"

My answer was, " Yes, definitely. Very soon."

17 comments:

marcusan said...

very lovely review. i also want to go and stay there. very soon. =D

Melanie said...

Marcus : Thanks! :) Yea, you should. It's a great place.

Vivien said...

wow very good deal

Jess said...

<3 tune hotels!

allie said...

I booked a room at LCCT too. Hope it won't left me disappointed.

Penang Tua Pui said...

hahahhah can see you're doing a promotion for Tune Hotels.com with that signboard but the wordings were all reversed ler....

maybe with this, they'll invite you to the next hotel stay? :)

Melanie said...

Vivien : Indeed it is. ;p

Jess : Yea, got vampire mee beside it! whee

Allie : Hopefully not ;p

Penang Tua Pui : Hahah, the pic was a reflection from the huge mirror. Don't think they'll invite me to stay for free la. I'm not even "fehmes". Heheh

RunWitMe said...

Good review and nice pictures. Why no metal waste in hotel? What is your drink can made of? Aluminum is a type of metal! :P

I will be staying there soon and will review it too.

Melanie said...

Runwitme : Hahah! Yea! Didn't thought of aluminum! Have a great stay there! and do email/ drop me yr link once you have blog about it =D

Michelle-Ann said...

Hi Melanie,

Thanks for the great review - thought you took some really great shots of our hotel.

FYI soon we'll be launching Tune Hotels.com in Bali (Kuta & Legian, both walking distance to the beach). Hope to welcome you to our hotels there too:)

Melanie said...

Hello Michelle! I'm pretty sure you're one of the GM? Hehe.

If I had the chance, i'll visit the one in Bali too :P

Thanks for dropping by!

kenix said...

i will go penang tune hotel very soon, and your blog really give me lot helpful information..wow!nice blog..

Melanie said...

Kenix : Thanks for dropping by! When are you going Penang?

kenix said...

morning, i will go penang end of october..hehe =)

Mei Ling said...

I stayed in Tune Hotel last week, and I am glad that there is a decent hotel without aircond! I hate the super cold, freezing feeling - so the fan was just perfect for me.

My room faced Burma Road so it was really nice to take a peek out once in a while. The shower was really good - better than my home's motorized shower! I took the towel at RM5 - it was white, clean & smell-free. Bed sheets were clean, very much like any 5-star establishment.

All in all, I had a good rest and it comes highly recommended! Oh yes, my room was book just 2 days prior and it was still pretty cheap at RM60.

Shirley Snow said...

I will have mine on this coming week. TuneHotel@KK! Hopefully it would be a lovely stay for me too^^

Melanie said...

Mei Ling : Yeah, every single penny was worth it! My parents also stay there a month after I stayed there, and they paid only RM 141 for 3 nights inclusive of taxes and air condition! Great stuff.


Shirley Snow : I hope you'll have a good experience like I do! :)